Friday, September 26, 2008

Today

Today I have accepted the job that will take me away from being a proper librarian for a year and a half until I move. This is my first job in an office, my first job of this sort, the job I will have when I marry Doctor Boyfriend, the job I will (assumably) have until I move back to my home city.

There is so much I will miss about my current library, the companionship of the elderly ladies I work with, the handyman who teases and complains with me, the funny stories to bring home, the helping patrons who want specific things. I pledge for the next two weeks, to leave my fellow clerks in as good condition as possible. I have already shown the ladies the wonders of Amazon.com in finding books when you don't know the title. (One of the ladies had a hard time finding "The moon over the mango tree" by Patricia Eween) I think they now understand that everything has to be perfect for the catalog, but that Amazon is all forgiving.

I need to savor every moment of library work I have left, and yes, that includes when patrons scream at me, as yesterday morning proves.

No comments: