Saturday, September 13, 2008

Enjoyable Nonfiction

One of my big 'reading weaknesses' is that I tend to skip over nonfiction. I love food writing, trashy memoirs, and books about books, but otherwise I'm a fiction junkie. Nancy Pearl has lists of wonderful nonfiction in the book lust books, now I just need to force myself to broaden my horizons and read some great nonfiction. Even my
Goodreads account has a scarce 32 books out of 500 that I tagged nonfiction (both read and to read). Some of that may be my poor, haphazard tagging, but most of it is that I find a reading comfort zone and then don't stray.

I plan of adventuring to my nonfiction stacks at work more often, but I also love recommendations.

2 comments:

Rachel Carver said...

Hmmm... Enjoyable nonfiction. I tend to like strange things like "Eats, Shoot and Leaves" or "The Madman and the Professor" (a history of the dictionary!).

I recommend "Rats" about the history of rats in NYC, or "Nickeled and Dimed" an anthropologically flawed but still interesting case study in minimum wage.

I also liked "Rumspringa" about the Amish. And "Generation Me" was cool, even though it was assigned for class. It's about our generation. I don't agree with a lot of the woman's conclusions or even her methods, but it's still interesting.

Lars said...

Nickeled and Dimed is on my "to read" list. Eats and the other books in the same vein by the same author never interested me much, but glowing reccommendations go a long way towards that.