Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Joy of Reading

I get very emotional about reading. If I am being dragged away from my current book I am like a feral dog over some food, snarling and angry. I have been known to stay on the bus an extra stop or two to make it to a chapter end. I think this is a normal and relatively commonplace feeling, to be so enraptured with a book that all you want to do is read, but what might not be normal amongst avid readers is the fear and distrust I have of books that I haven't gotten into yet. When that cover is closed, or I have read a little without being swept away, I'm intensely uncomfortable. As much as I love to read, I don't like to make an effort to read, and pushing myself through those first 10 or 50 pages can be really difficult. I feel lost when I am between books, without the anchor of knowing exactly what I am into.

No comments: